So you have a baby and still want to impress people with food… Good news! Summer gives us the perfect opportunity to do just that! Fruit is in season and backyard barbecues are in full swing. What else could you ask for? To be honest, unless you get a babysitter, baking or cooking for friends will never be the same, but that doesn’t mean it is unattainable. There are a lot of crowd-pleasing dishes you can make that will impress your friends and they will not have a clue you had a tiny person clinging to your ankle the whole time!
One of my favorites is the strawberry crumble from Real Plans. This crumble seriously takes very little time and is extremely forgiving when it comes to how things are combined. There are no small steps that will ruin this dessert, which means you will continue to be reining champ of baked goods (we’ll let you keep thinking that). The best part about this dessert is that it is casual enough for a small friendly get-together but can also be dressed up for a much swankier event as well.
Please check out the recipe below, and if you like what you see, there is plenty more where that came from. Real Plans has plenty more crowd-pleasing dishes to offer.
Preheat oven to 350 F
- Wash and remove greens from strawberries. Once you’ve done that, you are set to place the strawberries (halved) into a mixing bowl.
- Juice Lemon into a small bowl then once you are sure no seeds managed to make their way into the bowl, pour lemon juice over strawberries
Tip: If you are frugal and don’t see the point of a lemon juicer like myself, I would recommend just using a regular fork. “How,” you ask? Hold lemon in your palm, insert fork, and squeeze and twist lemon. It does the trick for me.
- Combine strawberries and lemon with tapioca starch, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Place bowl contents in any 9” baking dish. I personally used a pie pan, but shape is not important.
- Combine almond flour, sea salt, coconut oil, and maple syrup until contents look like a heavily textured liquid.
Tip: We made the mistake of adding more almond flour because we felt the topping looked too thin. Having the contents thin will allow for a more even topping on the dessert.
- Place topping evenly over the strawberries then place in oven. Allow the dessert to bake for 30 minutes or until topping turns crispy golden and strawberries are bubbly.
- When taking the dessert out of oven, make sure to allow it to sit for 10 minutes to let the dessert set. This will make it much easier to serve.