After waking up several times a night, the last thing any mommy wants to do is get up for the day. No matter how hard you will yourself out of bed, there’s always that little voice telling you to crawl back under the sheets and stay there. Those nights are rough and happen much more often than we’d like, but moms don’t have the luxury of sleeping in. Sadly, I cannot magically make your kids sleep through the night, nor can I silence your deepest desires to sleep the entire day away, but I can offer you an easy solution to your breakfast woes.
As a family that has three mouths to feed, we now collectively devour one super yummy, hydrating and healthy smoothie filled with all the nutrients we need to get our day off on the right foot. It’s not always the case that three people will like the same foods, but this smoothie is satisfyingly sweet and packed with plenty of fiber and nutrients found naturally in the fruits as well as a minimal-ingredient protein powder. We use Vega Protein Powder (vanilla flavor) which has proteins from plants rather than dairy or soy and tastes delicious! We used to take out a small portion for Little Man before adding the protein powder, but now recognize the health benefits the protein powder has for him too.
Here’s how we make our family’s breakfast smoothie and also an adorable testimonial photo from Little Man.
1.5 Cups Frozen Pineapple
2 Cups Frozen Strawberries
2 Cups Frozen Blue Berries
2 Cups Water
1 Scoop Vega Plant-Based Protein Powder
- In a blender, layer frozen fruit and banana. If you have a standard-size blender, this will likely leave you with just enough room to add the lid.
- Pour the two cups of water over the fruit. I found that adding the water all at once helps to get give the blender a little more to work with and does not run the blades without actually blending.
- Blend fruit until slushy and resembles desired smoothie consistency. I start with medium-high works well and increasing to high once the large pieces have been blended.
Tip: You may notice with this quantity of fruit may be a lot for your blender to handle. If that’s the case, make sure to stir with a wooden spoon as needed. If you are lucky enough to have a Ninja Blender, this won’t be an issue for you. This blender is at the tippy-top of my wish list!
- Pour one scoop of Vega Protein Powder on top of the blended fruit. And blend until evenly incorporated.
- Once done, you should have roughly five cups of smoothie, which you can then split among the family. We like to enjoy our smoothies with bendy straws because you are never too old for bendy straws!